Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Chapter 66

All streams flow to the sea

because it is lower than they are.

Humility gives it its power.

If you want to govern the people,

you must place yourself below them.

If you want to lead the people,

you must learn how to follow them.

The Master is above the people,

and no one feels oppressed.

She goes ahead of the people,

and no one feels manipulated.

The whole world is grateful to her.

Because she competes with no one,

no one can compete with her.


Translation of the Tao Te Ching by Stephen Mitchel

1 comment:

  1. I remembered my Driver's Ed instructor saying, "Never brake around a turn. Accelerate around the curves. This enables you to be in control of the car and the hug of the road." I focused on the edge of the road in front of me because there was no beyond the edge. Together, my car and I sang through the twists and turns, zigs and zags, the steep and crookeds of the road approaching Eureka Springs, Arkansas. Focus put exhilaration where fear used to be. Excitement stepped in and said, "Here, let me drive." How Tao-like is this? Go slow enough to accelerate--no more riding the brakes through the ups and downs of the journey.

    ReplyDelete